Friday, October 21, 2011

Found our Happy at the 2011 South Carolina State Fair

We made the treck from Bluffton, SC to Columbia, SC to attend the 2001 South Carolina State Fair.  We had a big time!  There was so much to see, quite a bit to do (even if you did not go on the rides), and a lot to eat.  Our "What Not To Miss" highlights are:

The K-9 In Flight Frisbee Dogs:  I don't have any pics to share because my camera was not cooperating.....and the dogs were moving so fast.  It was a blast to watch them do their tricks.  Best of all, they were all adopted from animal shelters.  So, I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.

The Pig Races:  The pigs were so adorable!  And they raced to finish line to attain the prize.....an OREO cookie




The Livestock shows:  We attended the day of the cattle, fowl, and bunnies.  Who knew there were so many different types?  And......best of all, it wasn't smelly....very clean : )






Good eats:  There was alot to eat...but, Ill warn you...it's pricey.  A bottle of water may go $3, an italian sausage was $8, and a Fried Dough/Elephant Ear was at least $5.  My advice, get a snack to share and do what we did.....eat out somewhere else.




The Flower Pavilion had a FANTASTIC sand sculpture (my picture does not represent the magnitude of the scale of this wonder). 


The commercial booths had some highlights.  A local beekeeper was on hand selling his honey....i cannot say enough about it.  It was so wonderful.  Not to sweet and not to thick.  Just perfect.  you can actually eat it off the spoon.  Pond Hollow Honey, from Timmonsville, SC was the name.  You need to stop by for a taste.

And, then there was the local dairy who was sampling their creamy Vanilla Milk.  Oh my!  It was like drinking vanilla ice cream.  Shumpert Milk and Ice Cream was worth a stop. 

In the last building, was the best buy (most frugal) place to get a treat.  They were selling chocolate chip cookies and a carton of milk for $1.50.  We stopped there too. 

And, last but not least.  The Elephant Ride!  Well worth $5 to see the smile on your child's face!  Located next to the petting zoo. 

There was a mega amount of rides.  The best way to go was to buy the all you can ride pass for $25.

I mentioned we ate off site.  Glad we did.  We went to Pawley's Front Porch Burgers located in Five Points section of the University of South Carolina campus area.  It was well worth the $9.95 per burger.  We first heard about when Guy Fieri featured it on Diner's Drive' In's, and Dives a few weeks ago.  My burger was topped with Pimento Cheese, Red Onion, Lettuce, Bacon.  It came with a side of Red Hot Onion Rings.  It was wonderful!  The burger was seasoned with a special blend of seasoning...i tasted Worcestershire and Black Pepper.  Mine was served on a sesame seed roll.  My son had the Washout Burger which was a hot and spicy burger.  His came on a homemade Pretzel roll!  Delicious.  Our friends had burgers as well and we all rolled out very happy campers.  I highly recommend it.



Pimento Cheese Burger with Red Hot Onion Rings (some Sweet Tater Fries I took from my friends plate in exchange for some of the rings, and a pickle!  Ooooohey!


All in all, it was a great day!  Can't wait to venture out again next year. 

2 comments:

  1. I went to the State Fair a few years ago with Aubrey and kids..."I" Nana..had to ride the kiddy rollercoaster...but when you sit in the Kiddy size seat..those sharp curves are SCARY!!! Soo much for it being a little ride! Ithought the thing would NEVER stop and let me off!
    So fun...going to see the bunnies..sooo fat! The sculptures that year were awesome too. Amazing.

    Glad you had a great time...
    I love the smell of the foods cooking there too!
    HOpe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the SC state fair...took my kids there every year! I love the sand art...it's different every year! So I borrowed a neighbor's password for internet...now I can catch up on all my blog reading! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for you comment...share the love!