Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pasta with Bolognese Sauce - lightened up a bit

I Looooooove pasta!  Any type of pasta.  But, Pasta with Bolognese sauce is a little fattening to eat every week, if you know what I mean.  So, to give this the "GO TO" stamp of approval, I need to lighten it up and get it done quickly.  With a little tweeking, I was able to do it and my family requests is every week.  Don't tell them I was able to sneak the veggies in there...shhhhh

You will need:

2 Tbs.butter
1 small onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 lb. ground chuck
salt and pepper
1 tsp. nutmeg or allspice
1 cup 2% milk (or 1%)
1 cup white wine
1 28 oz. can tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes

Serve with 1.5-2 lbs of cooked linguine

1.  Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add onion, celery and carrot and cook it up, stirring it until veggies have softened up (about 5 minutes).  Turn heat to high and add the beef.  Cook it up while breaking it up with a spoon and until it is no longer pink.  Season with sale, pepper, and nutmeg/allspice. 

2.  Pour in milk and wine and bring to a slow boil..  Lower the heat and simmer until most of liquid has evaporated (about 15 minutes).  Stir in tomatoes.  Cover and cook for about 20 - 30 minutes.  Serve with linguine and fresh grated cheese. 

Note:  if you want to make it a more authentic Italian dish such as Sunday Sauce use whole milk instead of 2% milk.  Also, before adding the tomato sauce, transfer mixture to a slow cooker.  Stir in tomatoes, cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.  Remove cover and cook for 30 minutes longer.  Serve with your cooked pasta.

2 comments:

  1. I'll be over for dinner....when did you say????

    YOU are a FANTASTIC CHEFIA...hee hee

    and I didn't know you were published in Gooseberry!!! I'm still waiting on mine to show up in there!! who knows..maybe??

    Glad you tweeked this for us...

    and...keep the recipes comin'...

    Do ITALIANS LOVE PASTA????

    TRIVIA question of the century!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Whenever you want to come over and try it..let me know : ) As for Gooseberry, yes I have been in there a few times. I'm to be published again in the Spring! Im soooo excited : )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for you comment...share the love!