Wednesday, December 7, 2011

What was it like to be a guest at Cornelius' house?

What was it like to be a guest at Cornelius' house?

In my daily Bible reading, I couldn't help but a get a chuckle that I know God inserted just for me. (I do believe God has a sense of humour...holy humour). I was in the book of Acts and came across Acts 10:1..There was a certain man in Caesarea called Cornelius, a centurion of the band called the Italian band..." I cant help but notice that every time I read this verse, I thank God for reaching... out to non Jews and specifically noting he was Italian. Then my overactive imagination takes over and I picture the scene as if I am there.
First, I can hear it. I know that an Italian household is anything but dull and boring. I can hear the joyful sounds as I approach the door. The excitement is buzzing that the special man of God is coming to be a guest....Peter is on his way! Everyone is readying the house.
Cornelius tells his children, " Now kids, remember, when dad tells you to settle down, you best settle down...don't you make one peep or you'll be peeping quite a bit when he leaves. Capish?"
At the doorstep, my nose begins to be tantalized by the scents of culinary bliss. The spaghetti sauce is cooking on the stove, fresh Italian bread (with sesame seeds of course) baking in the oven....a little cheese, and fresh fruit ....homemade grape juice to wet the beak...... Cornelius puts on quite the spread and invites all the neighbors.



Then, after dinner, we all settle down for adult time over dessert. Peter gets down to the business to which he was summoned and pulls no punches. He gets right to the point. Everyone rejoices at learning of this Saviour and they all have cannolis for dessert.

Whoever says Christians have no fun, has not been doing it correctly : )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for you comment...share the love!