Friday, January 27, 2012

Shabby French Desk Redo





I had the lovely library table that I knew had such potential.


But, I wanted to make it look more shabby and hide the wires that come along with all electronic devices.  Not to mention, do something with that cat!


And, I wanted to be frugal about it.  


So, I thought, and thought.  


First, I sponged areas of the desk with black, creme, and grey paints.  I did a freehand diamond pattern to give the carved work some added dimension.


Then, a miracle happened!


One day, while thrifting, I found this bedskirt....






 and knew I could use it to make a skirt for me desk and chair.  So, I (who does not now how to sew)...fired up the sewing machine.  It took me three hours to learn how to thread it.  But, I did!


After I hemmed the fabric, I used clips to clip it up to thumbtacks I placed at strategic locations.  


I then found a chairpad in a shabby red rose print.  I added the leftover bedskirt fabric to it to make a shabby skirt.


So, there you have it!


I did all for $9.97 ($4.00 for the bedskirt, $2.97 for three bottles of craft paint, and $4.00 for the curtain hooks).


And, here it is:  






As for my Bible verse, I found the frame at Michaels for $.50.  I played with fonts on my computer and typed out the verse that God uses to keep me on track.  It's so adorable, isnt it?  




So, there you have it!  Now, to keep the kiddies and kitties away from it : )

12 comments:

  1. I LOVE it!!!! Thanks so much for linking up on Show & Tell Saturdays at The Peaceful Mom! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I had a fun time being creative...my kitties enjoyed it too...but, now they are hiding under the chair..heehee

      I love Peaceful Mom...enjoying all of it, especially the Meal Planning : ) Thanks again

      Delete
  2. BTW, I have that same rose print Waverly fabric in my bedroom and I absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fortuitous find
    in that bed skirt

    i love how it all turned out
    and am so glad you shared it
    at Fridays Unfolded!

    alison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alison! I know, isn't that bedskirt amazing. I was so excited about it. Thank you for stopping by and allowing me to share on Fridays Unfolded.

      Delete
  4. How cute!!! I love the black and white fabric! can I have THAT cat???!!!! o my gosh she's so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fabric is really pretty. As for the cat....she is crazy...that is our rescue kitty. I call her Barbara's Nanny....but, she is only about 1/3 of your cat..heehee

      Delete
  5. It came out gorgeous Grace. Thank you for stopping by my blog because it led me back to you. I am your newest follower and will be back often to check on your progess. Patty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, GAL...we need to have a talk...

    when did this all take place and me not know it!!

    IT IS AWESOME!!

    I think we need to have shabby redo parties...me and you!!

    Now...about that spot...what did you do with what was there/ You must have moved it to another cozy place...in the living room? Wanna SEE!!!

    Happy Birthday tomorrow GRACEANN!!!
    HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forgot to mention the BIBLE verse...

    here I do hand calligraphty...

    and this is fantastic!!! I want one!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope....yes, we need to have a redo party : ) Yes, what I had there is now in the library room where the desk was.....thanks for the bday wishes : ) Can't wait to have my favorite meal at your place....and Im going to see what creative things you have done lately.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic and great job! I love the way you concealed the wires. Thanks for sharing, Blessings,Ginger

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for you comment...share the love!